Thursday, November 24, 2005

Trials and tribulations

Its Thanksgiving day and I finally have enough time and energy to post.

Please excuse me my friends. I haven't forgotten you and you have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Since the last time I posted, I have been subjected to a series of events that have sorely tested my mental health, pocketbook and endurance.

My mother has had a major operation, (she's fine now and recuperating at home). My sister-in-law has been diagnosed with breast cancer, (I believe that she just had her last chemo and the prognosis is good). We suffered a business slow down due indirectly to the increase in fuel prices, (somewhat better now, we'll see). My four year old refrigerator went to that big appliance store in the sky, (big bucks). My central air went out, (more big bucks, and I have to have it for my asthmatic wife). I had a head on collision and my car is totaled, (I have a backup and I'm unhurt). I've been working 12+ hour days, doing my regular job then my part time jobs as the different businesses get ready for below freezing weather. My son broke his wrist and two of his vehicles need repaired, (clutch and transmission problems, (we do our own car repairs). And I have a terrible cold.

That tornado that took out the trailer court in Southern Indiana, passed less than a quarter mile behind my house. I live about two miles due West of that trailer court. I slept through it. No damage here except scattered debris. I had that head-on two days later on the way to work. We were under another tornado watch and it had been raining sheets. The road was slick from the debris dumped on the road from the tornado and I slid across the center line while slowing to make a turn. The Ford Ranger pickup, I hit, wasn't going very fast either but when you put a Saturn up against a FWD truck, the truck wins every time (no one was hurt).

Hopefully, things will settle down a little bit and return to normal, such as it is for me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Especially you Beak, I am lucky to have you for a friend!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was it that Shakespeare said.."troubles come not in single spies but in battalions"
You have proven this and then some.
Keep posting!
{elijah}

Anonymous said...

By the way, that post on Sean Penn was hilarious. You know if he keeps this up he may single handedly save the world. Didnt he recently also go over to Iraq to "educate"?
I cant wait to see his action plan to restore the world climate problem.
He should team up with Geldof and really tackle this poverty problem.
Just Imagine...Geldof/Bono/Penn
This triumvirate will dwarf Ghandi's accomplishments.....LOL
{elijah}

Warren said...

Hey, Elijah!
Good to hear from you.

Yea, Penn is out there in la la land. If Hollywood still used contract character actors, ol' Sean would be playing the village idiot. We could look forward to the screen credits where we would see his name listed in 6 point type right after Bobo the baboon played by himself.

Lets face it, there was a reason why many towns in the US and Canada used to have a sign that proclaimed "All actors must leave town by sundown!"

Geldof and Bono would do well to stay from between a camera and Sean Penn while he is in self-promotion mode.

:^)

Unknown said...

elijah:

good to hear from you, it's been awhile.

warren:

there's a line from the classic film "Batman Begins" (i'm a die hard Batman fan) that i feel is appropriate:

'why do we fall down? so that we may learn to pick ourselves up.'

find comfort in knowing that after this fall, you will emerge in better spirits and a stronger person.

i hope your cold subsides soon.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Warren,

Hope everything flips back to normal soon for ya. I've missed your presence on the blogs I haunt.


Drummaster,

You just earned 60 cool points. I too am a Batman fanatic.

Unknown said...

beamish:

speaking of Batman, did you know the bravo network named The Joker as the number 2 super villain of all time?

Always On Watch said...

Warren,
No apologies necessary. You've been having more than a plateful.

Glad to read that you're okay and that the trials and tribulations may be leveling off. You deserve a respite!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I hate clowns. Another thing I have in common with Batman.

Esther said...

Batman rules.

Warren, I'm so sorry you've been going through such things. Big Sister finished her chemo for breast cancer in the Spring and has been doing herceptin. It's not supposed to have side effects but yet she seems to have them. She's small boned and has lymphidema (sp?), which happens in only 3% of the people. Just lucky I guess. I hope your S-I-L is handling things better than my sister. It was really rough on her. Thank G-d both of them have a good prognosis. It's such a scurge, cancer.

Hang in there. And I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.